Tuesday, September 22, 2015

False Advertising

I have been away from our peaceful gravel road home for a few weeks now.  I have noticed some strange phenomenons while cruising around northeastern Florida.

Every day, every non-rainy day, a couple down the street walk their dog.  While this may sound normal to you, the manner in which this dog is being walked is a bit odd.

I first spied this couple as I drove down the street.  They were an elderly couple out for a stroll pushing a walker with a seat.  "Awww," I thought.  "They are out enjoying the fresh air and sunshine.  If they get winded they can take a rest in the walker.  Smart people."

It was only as I passed the couple I realized this was not what they were doing at all.  Yes, they were out for a stroll.  But the walker was not intended for a rest.  It was for pushing their tail wagging, tongue lolling dog!

"Maybe this is a one day thing for the dog," I considered.  Yet every day before supper time they push that happy dog down the street.  He sits proudly on his seat grinning from dog ear to dog ear.

Another day Doug and I were driving to the hospital when a cow passed us.

"Doug!  Did you see that cow driving down the road?" I exclaimed.

"No, I did not."  He reached over to feel my forehead.

A few miles later we caught up with the imaginary car.  It was really a van painted brown and white like a cow that might be found in the field by our house.  However protruding on the roof was a set of large Texas Longhorns.

I wondered, "Why?"  Did this person want to be a cow in another life?  I do not understand this.  Now becoming a cat in another life would make good sense.

Water is everywhere here in northeastern Florida-the ocean, lakes, rivers.  People here love their boats.  Boats are a common sight in and out of the water.  They can be spotted zooming down rivers, towed down the road, and abandoned in front yards.  When I spotted a lone boat motor I was confused.

"Doug, look!  There is a motor on a stick in front of that house."

We pulled over and examined the lollipop motor.  It was actually the home's mail box. Someone had taken the time to gut the interior of the motor.  They cut a door.  Installed a flag and called it their mail box.

I have come to the conclusion that Florida has false advertising.  The bottom of a Florida license plate reads; "Sunshine State."  I have yet to see that yellow ball of fire.  It sprinkles.  It pours.  Thunder rolls around like a ping-pong ball batted during an intense game.  Just today we were having a peaceful lunch out with Doug's mother when the skies opened up and rain spilled out at an alarming rate.  Our truck was blocks away.  We dashed from store front to store front keeping as dry as possible.  However there was no way to keep our toes, feet, and shins dry when crossing the street.  Water was standing as high as car doors in the street.

These unusual sights have kept me amused.  I wonder what other things I will find in the days to come.  One thing is for sure.  It reminds me I live in a "normal" part of the world.  However, normal is just a cycle on the washing machine.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.