Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Finally, Snow!


I peered outside in the dark trying in vain to see how many white molecules
 were falling to the ground.  It was snowing! 

I awoke early the next morning to snow!  Lots and lots of snow!  Excited as a four year old, I gobbled down my breakfast and began to dress.  Long underwear, t-shirt, sweatshirt, heavy blue jeans, thick wool socks, down parka, snow pants, knee high snow boots, warm gloves, hat and ear muffs.  I was ready! 


Pushing my way out the door, (who knew snow was so heavy) I looked for the best spot to make a snow man. Oh yeah, out front where everyone could see.  Once the snow plow came by!  I picked up a glove full of snow and it sprinkled to the ground.  It would not ball up.  It was a light and fluffy snow not a wet and "let's make a snowball snow."  It was worthless snow!

Royally disappointed I couldn't play in this, I realized I had grown up issues to face.  I was snowed in.  Since Doug was gone it was up to me to plow the driveway.  I could do that.  "I am Woman, Hear me Roar!"

Doug had so thoughtfully bought me an apple red sport utility vehicle, named James, with a snow plow attached.  It was in the shed in the back forty.  The snow had drifted so I trudged through ankle deep snow and knee deep snow, but made it without going under completely.  I fired up James, put the blade down and began to drive.  I drove an entire 31 feet before the snow became so heavy James stopped, smelled funny, and excreted a bit of smoke.  Oh no! 

Hopping off, retracing my steps, literally, I stumbled inside to phone my 95 year old uncle for instructions on how to plow snow.  After hearing everything, and yes everything, I did wrong, I hobbled back out to James.

By this time the 14 degree weather was beginning to seep into my bones.  But "I am Woman!"  I adjusted the blade to a tilt, put him in 4-wheel drive, and went off in a different direction from the first time.  Down the hill, across the place where green grass was yesterday, and to the end of the driveway.  I did it.  I turned around to admire my handy work.  I had barely touched any of the snow with the blade!

Suddenly a large shadow loomed over me.  I turned to see this 20 foot tall John Deere tractor with a front loader stop by my driveway.  A large figure climbed down and a deep voice said, "Want me to scoop your driveway?" 

Troy, my three mile away neighbor, had come to release me.  "I am Woman, Watch me Move Out of the Way!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.