Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Where's the Lights?


Todd is our contractor remolding the kitchen and bathroom.  He and Doug are in cahoots.  Two days after obliterating our kitchen Doug leaves for seven weeks. 

Where am I supposed to cook?  The stove is in the laundry room with no hook ups.  Where am I supposed to do dishes?  The only sink is the tiny one in the bathroom.  Where do I store the dishes I can't cook on?  The only saving grace is I have a refrigerator.  It is in the garage. 

Think, I must think.  There is the front bedroom down stairs with a bed and lots of boxes.  I can put dishes on the bed.  I can throw a board over the boxes and put the microwave there.  At least I can make tea.  I've been told no one likes me if I don't get my tea.  We own a toaster oven, I can make chicken in that.  But, there is no room left on the board and it might be a fire hazard to cook on the bed.  Ah!  I can cook in the bathroom.  That sounds very appetizing!


Todd has contracted some nice men to work on the house.  The plumber/electrician for example.  He had to disconnect the light in the dining room where I ate.  He considerately asked me if he should reconnect it before he left for the day.  "Nah, I can handle that.  It doesn't get dark until 9:30."  I could be reasonable. 

"O.K.  See you tomorrow," the pleasant man said.

Nine thirty came and it got dark.  I turned on the living room light.  Nothing.  I turned on the overhead lights in the down stairs bedrooms.  Nothing.  I turned on all the upstairs lights.  Nothing.  Nothing. Nothing!  At least the bathroom lights worked, so I could see my teeth.  I stumbled my way to bed out of boredom. 

The next day I wore a hole in the carpet waiting for the plumber/electrician.  By 3:00 I was not pleasant even though I did get my tea.  (Had to move the microwave in the bathroom.)  Todd nor the plumber/electrician had shown up.  Ripping through the phone book I could not find the plumbers name any where.  I yanked the phone off the stand and punched in Todd's number.  Voice mail.  Wouldn't you figure. 

"Hey Todd.  This is Angie.  I have no lights, television, or computer.  That plumber dude didn't come today as promised.  I am not happy!  Good bye"

By five thirty I was running circles around our property.  What else was there to do?  A truck pulled into the driveway.  Todd and his helper jumped out of it with extension cords wrapped around their bodies.  I am saved!

Todd said the plumber was knee deep in someone's well and couldn't come until tomorrow.  Well the plumber was knee deep on my well list as well.  So they extension corded my house so I could live like a somewhat normal person.

The plumber/electrician came bright and early the next morning.  He restored all the lights, but the dining room.  I can live with this one more night, I thought.  Five weeks later, the lights in the dining room came on.  But the kitchen was up and working and looked fantastic!  The only thing missing in the kitchen was the refrigerator.  It was still living in the garage.   I am told the new one will be here "any day now".

1 comment:

  1. kitchen remodels are sooooo tough and so worth it in the end! It is going to be beautiful! We remodeled ours about 10 years ago and never finished because we were so traumatized. I am now ready to shop back splashes :-)
    I love seeing your posts!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.